Beef Steak Fajitas with Tomato Corn Relish
This is a good meal for a casual get-together with friends. Have everything ready and let your guests assemble the fajitas themselves. Make it a Mexican party and throw together some lime margaritas! Use at least a 4-quart (4 L) slow cooker. If you like heat, mince one jalapeño pepper and add to the relish.
|2 lb (1 kg)||Beef Flank Steak|
|2||onions, thinly sliced|
|2||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|1 cup (250 mL)||thick and chunky salsa|
|1 ½ tsp (7 mL)||smoked paprika|
|½ tsp (2 mL)||salt|
|½ tsp (2 mL)||ground cumin|
|1||red bell pepper, cut into strips|
|12||10-inch (25 cm) cheese-flavored flour tortillas|
|½ cup (125 mL)||sour cream|
|2 cups (500 mL)||shredded Monterey Jack cheese|
- Place steak in slow cooker stoneware. Spread onions on top.
- Combine garlic, salsa, paprika, salt and cumin in bowl. Pour over steak and onions.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours, until steak is tender. Transfer steak to a cutting board or bowl and, using two forks, shred meat. Return to stoneware.
- Stir in red and yellow bell peppers. Cover and cook on High for 30 to 45 minutes or until peppers are tender-crisp.
- Just before serving, wrap a stack of tortillas in foil and warm in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 10 minutes.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the steak mixture along the center of each tortilla. Top with some of the Tomato Corn Relish, sour cream and cheese. Fold tortilla around filling (see Cook’s Notes below).
- Tomato Corn Relish: Combine 1 large tomato (diced), 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) corn kernels (drained), 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh cilantro, 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lime juice, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper. Let stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
- Excerpted from: Canada’s Slow Cooker Winners by Donna Marie Pye © Robert Rose Inc.www.robertrose.ca. Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.